Institute of Foreign Language Education & Instruction
The Institute of Foreign Language Education & Instruction is a research institute housed by the School of Foreign Languages with more researchers, a distinctive style and development potential. The Institute is a well-organized team of more than 30 members, including 3 PhD, 1 full professor, and 5 associate professors, and a number of young staffs aged below 40.
The Institute attaches importance to bridge the theory and practice of foreign language teaching, keeps a close eye on the recent development in foreign language teaching, and highlights the practicality and popularization of research achievements. The Institute carries out researches on problems of second language learning and solutions to them, cognition and second language acquisition, cerebral processing of a second language, current situation and development of foreign language education and instruction, foreign language classroom instruction and impact of scientific and technological development on foreign language teaching, etc. Among the above research orientations, cognition and second language acquisition and cerebral processing of a second language are given special attention to. Members of the Institute are now heading 1 project sponsored by the Ministry of Education Fund for Humanities and Social Sciences, 1 project sponsored by Jiangsu Province Fund for Philosophy and Social Sciences, 1 project sponsored by Jiangsu Institutions of Higher Learning Fund for Philosophy and Social Sciences, and 1 key project sponsored by Jiangsu University Fund for Teaching Reform. We have published 1 monograph and more than 10 papers on foreign language periodicals indexed by the CSSCI, including Foreign Language Teaching and Research, Modern Foreign Languages, etc.
The Institute thinks highly of carrying out cooperation and exchanges with celebrated colleges and universities both at home and abroad and members of the Institute have attended a number of seminars and spoke at them. Besides inviting distinguished experts to give lectures to us, we encourage our staffs to further their studies abroad as well as in other Chinese colleges and universities.
Though we have had a very short history, our staffs are united and enterprising. The Institute has formulated good regulations and detailed working plan to step up the performance of our research work. We are confirmed that under the leadership of the School of Foreign Languages and Jiangsu University, the young staffs of our institute shall be more enthusiastic towards our work. We are striving to blaze new trails and work harder to make contributions to the great leap of the School of Foreign Languages.
II. Heads of the Institute
Su Jianhong, Associate Professor, MA Supervisor, PhD Zhang Beizhen, PhD
III. Major Publications (CSSCI periodicals)
1. Dispute between Bruton and Truscott over correction of grammatical errors in second language writing. Modern Foreign Languages, 2014（6）.
2. Influence of individual thinking styles on written corrective feedback. Foreign Languages and Their Teaching, 2014（4）.
3. Derived word processing of Chinese English learners. Modern Foreign Languages，2014（2）.
4. Cognitive factors, attentions and feedback effect of written corrective feedback. Journal of Xi’an International Studies University, 2014（1）.
5. Explicit/implicit teaching and interaction between language analysis ability and acquisition of second language explicit/implicit knowledge. Modern Foreign Languages, 2012（4）.
6. A classroom realization model of data-driven learning. Foreign Languages and Their Teaching, 2012（3）.
7. An empirical study of the relationship between explicit and implicit knowledge in SLA. Foreign Languages and Their Teaching，2012（1）.
8. An empirical study of the relationship between thinking style and metalinguistic knowledge——based on the language analysis ability. Foreign Language Teaching, 2012（1）.
9. Influence of individual thinking styles on English language skills——based on explicit/implicit knowledge. Foreign Language Teaching and Research, 2011（1）.
10. Design and conceive of teacher’ belief system in the background of college English teaching reform. Foreign Languages and Their Teaching，2009（12）.
11. An empirical study of translators’ different choices of words in translating Classical Chinese texts into English—a case study of unique words in translations of Master Sun’s Art of War, Chinese Translators Journal, 2009（6）.
12. Translation of words in the E-time: adaptation and choice, Journal of PLA University of Foreign Languages, 2009（6）.
13. Research on college English teachers’ belief under the context of Blended Learning. China Educational Technology, 2009（5）.
14. Design Conception and Theoretical Foundation of a Web Platform for College English Writing Teaching and Research. Foreign Language World, 2009（1）.
15. Research on China’s college English teaching development. Foreign Languages and Their Teaching，2008(10）.
1. Thinking Style, Language Analysis Ability and Language Knowledge—Foreign Language Learning from the Cognitive Perspective, 2014/9, Jiangsu University Press.
2. Research on College English Curriculum: Evolution and Reform, 2009, Jiangsu University Press
V. Research Programs (as project head):
1. Planning Fund for Humanities and Social Sciences of the Ministry of Education, “A study of EFL written corrective feedback of Chinese college students”（No.: 11YJA740077）
2. Social Sciences Fund of Jiangsu Province, “Interaction of learners’ cognitive factors and the explicitness of teaching style on foreign language learning”（No.: 12YYD018）
3. Key Project Sponsored by the Fund for Teaching Reform of Jiangsu University, “Exploration and practice of the cultivation of creative ability and occupational quality of foreign language majors”（No.: 2011JGZD029）
4. Fund for Philosophy and Social Sciences of Jiangsu’s Institutions of Higher Learning, “Developing the processing ability of second language forms”（No.: 2014SJB803）
5. Planning Fund for Education Science of Jiangsu Province, “Research and practice of partner feedback of college English writing”（2009.07-2011.05）
6. Fund for Philosophy and Social Sciences of Jiangsu Province, A study of college English teacher’s belief system”（2009.06-2013.12）
7. Fund of the Department of Education of Jiangsu Province, “Blended learning model for college English in the context of social networking”（2011.09-2013.09）
8. Fund of Jiangsu Federation of Social Sciences, “Export of Chinese culture in the context of globalization”（2010.09-2012.12）
9. Fund of Jiangsu University, “Research and practice of college English teaching and reform in the context of higher education globalization and in-campus talent cultivation orientation” (2011.06-2013.06）
10. Fund of the Higher Education Division of the Ministry of Education, “Model project of college English teaching reform”（2006.08-2014.10）
1. 2014 Award for the 10th Batch of Excellent Achievements in Philosophy and Social Sciences of Zhenjiang City, 3rd prize
2.2013 Award for Excellent Sci-tech Papers and Books of Zhenjiang City, 3rd prize
3. 2013 Award for the 11th Batch of Achievements in Higher Education Science of Jiangsu Province, 3rd prize
4. 2013 Award for Teaching Achievements of Jiangsu University, 1st prize
5. 2012 Award for Teaching Reform Papers of Jiangsu University, 1st prize
6. 2011 Award for the 10th Batch of Achievements in Higher Education Science of Jiangsu Province, 1st prize
7. 2011 Award for the 3rd Batch of Achievements in Education Science of Jiangsu Province, 3rd prize
8. 2011 Award for Teaching Reform Papers of Jiangsu University, 1st prize
9. 2010 Award for the 7th Batch of Excellent Achievements in Philosophy and Social Sciences of Jiangsu’s Institutions of Higher Learning, 3rd prize
10. 2009 Award for the 9th Batch of Achievements in Higher Education Science of Jiangsu Province, 3rd prize